University of Galway - Direct Enroll Available Sessions
Get a Flight Credit worth up to $500 when you apply with code* by March 15, 2024
About the Program
Choose from University of Galway's entire—and extensive—course catalog. Take courses in a range of subject areas, from business to humanities, liberal arts to sciences, mathematics to languages, or focus your studies by enrolling in the Engineering & Computer Science Track or Marine Science & Biology Track. Take courses to fulfill your major or graduation requirements, or choose electives in your areas of academic or professional interest. This versatile, flexible program allows you to immerse into the Irish higher education system and study alongside Irish and other international students.
- late Aug 2024 - mid Dec 2024
- 12 - 15
- Apply by:
- Withdraw by:
- Foreign Language Proficiency:
- All Levels
- Minimum GPA:
- Course Prerequisites:
- Students who have completed less than two years of college study will be considered on a case by case basis; additional application requirements will apply. Please contact CEA for details.
- Education Completed:
- 2 Years of College completed by time of application
- Course Prerequisites:
- Some courses may have prerequisites.
Each semester, you'll enroll in courses that total 30 UG credits/15 U.S. credits. Contact hours vary by course and may be comprised of lectures, seminars, or tutorials. You may earn a total of 15 credits per semester or a total of 30 credits per academic year. Class meeting times and days per week vary by course.
The academic structure lists a small sample of subject areas available. You will have access to introductory, intermediate and advanced courses in a variety of subject areas. See below for information how to access the University of Galway website to access the full list of courses.
You'll "pre-register" by submitting course selections and alternates to CEA before you leave for Ireland. Formal registration takes place at a registration session during the first week of the program. If you take 2 or more courses, offered through the Science, Engineering and Nursing Faculties, there's a significant additional fee; you'll be invoiced after formal course registration. It is in your best interest to have multiple alternative courses approved by your home university prior to your departure due to course availabilities. Please consult with your academic advisor at your home university on credit pre-approval guidelines.
The host institution has offered the following courses in the past. Please note that course listings may not be finalized until the start of the term; we’ll post an updated list when the host institution finalizes its offerings.
*Courses with an asterisk indicate that the course has been associated with multiple subject areas.
Please click on the course title to view additional subject areas and detailed course information.
CEA CAPA knows it's important to make sure the credit you earn abroad will transfer back to your school at home. Fortunately, it's easy to find what you need in Galway, because the University of Galway offers such a wide variety of courses. In order to choose your courses for your upcoming semester, follow the steps below:
Choosing Your Courses
Step One:View courses and access the University if Galway International Office website.
Step Two:Click on the "Visiting Students Booklet (Semester 1)" if you will be attending the Fall semester or Academic Year, or "Visiting Students Booklet (Semester 2)" if you will be attending the Spring semester. If you are a semester student, you cannot take a course that shows "1 AND 2" in the Semester column because these courses are only for year students. If the Semester column says "1 OR 2," semester students are able to take the course.
Step Three:Please read the general information in the booklet before paging through to the list of courses. Each department’s courses are presented in tables listing the course code, title, semester offered, credit amount (in ECTS credits), and type of exam held. At the end of each graph are important notes that outline course requirements or exceptions.
Once you find a course offered, click the corresponding department's website. There, you will find course descriptions. Please keep in mind that the course description is often the extent of the information available on a particular course. If you are in need of syllabi, please notify your CEA CAPA advisor who will check for availability.
Select 4 modules and at least 4 alternate modules offered during your study abroad program. University of Galway credits are allocated according to the European Credit Transfer System (ECTS). Under this system, 3 U.S. credits typically equals 5 or 6 ECTS. The credit conversions recommended by the university for their own courses are as follows:
- 5 ECTS Credits = 2.5 U.S. Credits
- 10 ECTS Credits = 5 U.S. Credits
(Note: Some courses are worth 2.5, 6, 9, 12, or 18 credits.)
5-7 courses is considered to be a full load at the University of Galway. Please verify with your university the amount of credits you will receive for the courses you are taking so that you maintain full-time status abroad.
Step Five:CEA CAPA encourages you to print the course descriptions and review them with your academic advisor at your home campus. It is important to get a variety of courses approved in writing by your home university prior to your departure.
Step Six:Prior to acceptance into the program, you must complete a course interest form on the university application. Please return this form, along with your official transcript, to your CEA CAPA advisor. These will be forwarded to the University of Galway for course pre-registration purposes. Final registration will take place once you arrive in Galway.
Helpful hints when choosing your modules
Demand for some modules is extremely high. Please bear in mind that it is not always possible to guarantee admission to particular modules, although we will do our best to offer you places in the modules you prefer.
- Students choosing courses from the Science or Engineering faculties will be charged an additional fee due to the difference in tuition for these courses. This fee will be charged to your account after you finalize your registration in Galway.
- Visiting students usually wish to be offered places in seminars that present the opportunity to address the material under discussion in a more informal and detailed way than is done in the larger lecture group. Generally, places in seminars are offered on the same basis as for local students and competition for places is high. Please note that the Departments of English, Sociological and Political Studies, and History, which have the largest numbers of students, are constrained by staffing and practical considerations and cannot offer seminar classes in parallel with every module, as is the convention in other departments.
- While the University of Galway application gives you the option of listing only course subjects rather than specific courses, you must list specific courses if you are interested in math, science, engineering, nursing, or pre-law courses.
- As there is a wide range of modules open to visiting students at the University of Galway, it is important to ensure that careful consideration is given when selecting modules. For instance, a student without a background in a particular subject should not, in general, choose a specialized third year course in the subject. There will also be occasional but inevitable incompatibilities because of timetable conflicts or some other logistical problems. Students should consult with their academic advisors at their home universities before specifying their module choices.
If you have further questions regarding how to select courses of about the CEA CAPA program at the University of Galway, please contact CEA CAPA at 1.800.266.4441.
Get out and explore! Excursions are offered for most semester, year, and summer programs*. Semester students are typically offered between two to three excursions and summer study students are typically offered between one to two excursions. You'll receive a calendar of excursions during orientation; here are a few day and overnight excursions we've offered in the past.
The sample budget is unavailable at this time. Please check back later or ask your CEA CAPA Admissions Counselor/Site Specialist for a comparable program’s sample budget.
The calendar for this program is coming soon; please check back later.