CEA CAPA Education Abroad
Scholarships & Grants
Get a Flight Credit worth up to $1,000 when you apply with code* by January 1, 2024
CEA CAPA Scholarships and Grants
CEA CAPA is committed to increasing access to study and interning abroad. We offer more than $2 million each year in scholarships, affiliations, and grant programs.
CEA CAPA scholarships are available to students on programs of three weeks or more. All scholarships require students to complete an application, and not all scholarships are available each term. FEA scholarships are administered by the Fund for Education Abroad, a nonprofit organization dedicated to increasing access to study abroad.
Scholarship awards vary from $100 - $5,000 according to need, program duration, and location. Content Creator and Alumni Ambassador funding varies and is disbursed following successful completion of program activities.
Scholarships are very competitive. Students are encouraged to use thoughtful, concrete examples in the essay questions, include all required financial documents, and proofread carefully before submitting. Late essays or forms will not be accepted, and incomplete applications will not be reviewed. This scholarship cannot be combined with CEA CAPA Opportunity Scholarships - participants may apply for only one of these scholarships.
- Fund the Gap Cost of Living Scholarship: ($200 - $1,000) Scholarship amounts vary by need, length of program, area for funding requested, and cost of living in the destination. Available to all students on programs of three weeks or more during Spring, Summer, and Fall terms. Students must provide information on the application as to how they plan to use the funds but do not have to report back to CEA CAPA on usage. Students applying for this scholarship may also apply for other CEA CAPA scholarships. *CEA CAPA is not responsible for assisting recipients of Fund the Gap scholarships in their use of the funds. Late applications and forms will not be accepted, and incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
- The Fund the Gap Scholarship is intended to cover:
- Local transportation passes
- Course related fees
- Accommodations funding for accessibility needs
- Other in-country cost of living expenses (students will have to describe)
- Fund the Gap Submission Requirements:
- Completed Fund the Gap Grant Application
- Completed financial aid disbursement form signed by home institution financial aid advisor
- Students who are applying for funds to help provide additional support for learning and physical challenges while abroad must also submit a letter outlining necessary accommodations from the home institution disability and accessibility services office.
- Apply Now
- The Fund the Gap Scholarship is intended to cover:
- Academic Excellence Scholarship: Limited to specific areas of curricular focus and destinations in consultation with Program Development. In addition to demonstrating excellence in the student's academic discipline, successful applicants must complete a series of short-answer questions about their academic background and goals for their experience abroad.
- GPA of 3.75+
- Assessment of short-answer questions
- Apply Now
- Need-Based Scholarship: ($200 - $5,000) Scholarship amounts are evaluated based on financial need, as well as the student's reflection on identity, program goals, personal investment, and location choice. Available to all students on programs of three weeks or more, but may not be available in all terms for all locations. Your application must be completed prior to the deadline to be considered for this scholarship. In addition to application questions, applicants must submit financial aid information. This scholarship cannot be combined with other CEA CAPA administered scholarships. The Scholarship Committee will notify students of their award status in writing by email within two weeks after the scholarship deadline. Scholarship money is credited to the program invoice and not given out as cash unless other arrangements have been made with the student's school.
- Students of Color Opportunity Scholarship: ($200 - $5,000) Available to students of color with financial need on programs of three weeks or more. This scholarship follows the same application process as the Need-Based Scholarship but is only intended for students who meet the background/identity requirements. This scholarship cannot be combined with other CEA CAPA administered scholarships.
- First-Generation Opportunity Scholarship: ($200 - $5,000) Available to first-generation students on programs of three weeks or more. This scholarship follows the same application process as the Need-Based and Students of Color Opportunity Scholarships, but is only intended for students who meet the background/identity requirements. This scholarship cannot be combined with other CEA CAPA administered scholarships.
- FEA Rainbow Scholarship Fund: This scholarship is available to deserving students who identify as LGBTQIA+ attending a study abroad program of any length. All U.S. citizens or permanent residents currently enrolled as an undergraduate at a U.S. institution of higher education are eligible to apply. Administered and funded by FEA.
- Apply directly through the FEA Scholarship Application
A limited number of Opportunity Grants are available on summer and fall 2024 programs. Not all grants may be available each term. Applications will open in Winter 2024.
- Flight Credit: ($1,000) for students who identify as a first-generation college student, a BIPOC student, a member of the LGBTQIA+ community, a student who receives post-9/11 GI Bill benefits, or if you attend an MSI (a Minority Serving Institution), you may apply for a credit that'll be awarded in the form of a flight credit with StudentUniverse and used toward your study or intern abroad flight.
- Passport Application Subsidy: ($130) is a grant specifically for students who are applying for their first-ever U.S. passport. These funds are awarded as a check and can cover your passport application fee.
- Work-Study Subsidy: (up to $2,500) helps bridge the financial gap for students who are foregoing on or off campus employment to study abroad. CEA CAPA will award funds in the form of a check made out to the student.
We ask that CEA CAPA Opportunity Grant recipients empower others by sharing their unique study or intern abroad experiences in one of the following ways:
- Complete a project on your home campus to promote study abroad
- Create a blog post or video for the CEA CAPA student blog or our YouTube channel
- Share your study abroad photos or participate in a social media takeover to talk about your study or intern abroad experience
Fund for Education Abroad
CEA CAPA is now an access partner with the Fund for Education Abroad (FEA). Their mission is to provide scholarships and ongoing support to students who are underrepresented among the U.S. study abroad population. This is a new, substantial source of aid students can potentially access in addition to the funds CEA CAPA gives directly. Apply directly through the FEA Scholarship Application.
March - April
June - July
August - October