CEA Partner Institution: University of Alicante
Location: Alicante, Spain
Primary Subject Area: Civil Engineering
Instruction in: English
Course Details: Level 300
Recommended Semester Credits: 3
Contact Hours: 60
"Steel Structures" is a compulsory subject from the fifth semester of the Undergraduate Program in Civil Engineering. In order to reach a satisfactory level of achievement it is recommended that the students are already proficient with the following competences:
- Analysis of geometric parameters of cross sections: baricentres, first and second moments of inertia.
- Construction materials in civil engineering, more specificaccly, structural steel and its properties.
- Analysis of statically determinate structures: simply supported beams, cantilevers and trusses.
- Analysis of statically indeterminate structures: continuous beams and 2D frames.
- Use of structural software for structural analysis (e.g. SAP2000 or similar), as well as programming with datasheets (e.g. Excel or similar).
The subject is organized in the following activities: seminars, group tutorials, computer aided sessions and laboratory sessions.
Course will consist of 60hrs of in class work and 90 hrs of independent work outside the classroom.