What you need:
- Backpack. Your school backpack will be just fine. You’re leaving for the weekend – not a week. Pack light.
- Purse/Hand luggage. You get to bring a piece of hand luggage too. This will be good for snacks and important documents.
- Toiletries. Bring only the necessities. Toothpaste, toothbrush, deodorant, shampoo, conditioner, etc. Make sure to put your toiletries in an airport approved plastic bag, insert eye-roll here, I know that this part seems dumb, but airport security is going to require you to do it whether you think it’s pointless or not.
| My backpack is from DuluthPack in Duluth,
Minnesota but any backpack should work.
- Clothing. This is important. Ladies, you don’t need your whole closet. Bring clothes that are easy to layer and can be used for multiple occasions. Below I have my suggested list for women. Men, you’re usually pretty good about this. Remember, you'll be wearing an outfit from this list on the plane - less to pack.
- Suggested Packing List:
- 3 Pairs of underwear
- 1 Sports bra
- 1 Regular bra
- 2 pairs of socks
- 1 sweater
- 1 cute tank-top or shirt for going out
- 1 T-shirt
- 1 Sweatshirt
- 1 Scarf
- 1 Pair of jeans
- 1 Pair of walking shoes
- 1 Pair of boots
- Suggested Packing List:
- Snacks. Flights can be long. Granola bars and fruit snacks are your friends.
- Waterbottle. Always travel with water, whether you’re on an airplane or on a walk, you should always have water with you.
- Important Documents. You’d be amazed at the amount of people who forget their passport, boarding pass, visa, ID, money etc. I know because I’ve been one of those people.
Filling your backpack:
- Put undergarments into your walking shoes and place walking shoes in the bottom of your backpack as shown.
| Put your walking shoes on top of each other.
This allows more room for the rolled clothes.
- Roll ALL of your clothes. This is the easiest way to fit all of them in your backpack with room to spare.
- If your backpack has two pockets, put your toiletries into the front pocket of your backpack (make sure the liquids are in the TSA approved bags). This will make them easy to access as many airports will make you take them out at airport security.
| Toiletries in the front pocket make them easily
accessible through airport security.
- I suggest getting a passport wallet. This allows you to have all of your documents in one place.
- Put snacks into your hand luggage as well. Regardless of how many times you’ve traveled, you can’t tell me you haven’t gotten hungry on a plane.
Now you have the basics for packing for a weekend adventure – safe travels! Sláinte – Cheers.
Sally Keckeisen is the Spring 2015 MOJO Blogger in Dublin, Ireland. She is currently a sophomore at the University of Northwestern – St. Paul.
Read more about our CEA Content Creators.