Fun Facts about Tara Maher:
- Studied with CEA in Paris, France Fall '12
- Loves playing soccer and joined an all women's team while in Paris
- Participated in the Ambassador program from Spring ’13 – Spring ‘14
- Graduated from Cal Poly San Luis Obispo, CA in June ‘14
- Traveled to Ireland, Norway, Germany, and France before joining CEA
- Hired as the Alumni Relations Associate at CEA in October ‘14
What did you enjoy about the Alumni Ambassador Program?
I loved sharing my experience with prospective students and answering their questions about studying abroad or Paris. By discussing my time abroad, I kept my memories alive, which helped me feel less distant from Paris. I also enjoyed getting to know other Ambassadors not only at Cal Poly but also across the nation.
What did you learn from the program and your fellow Alumni Ambassadors?
During my last term as an Ambassador, I became a Senior Alumni Ambassador which allowed me to learn how to facilitate discussion, manage a group, and expand my leadership skills. I loved being a Senior Ambassador and building a friendly community during the Ambassador meetings. The new Ambassadors' enthusiasm motivated me to continue to share my passion for studying abroad and international education.
What inspired you to join CEA Alumni Relations post-graduation?
By joining CEA, I look forward to developing Alumni Relations with Kristi because returning from studying abroad was one of the hardest experiences for me. I want to provide support for our Ambassadors and Alumni while they experience re-entry culture shock and are adjusting back to life in the states.
What does your role in Alumni Relations include?
- Helping manage the Ambassador Program
- Engaging with ambassadors and alumni
- Helping develop and expand our alumni network
- Social media outreach
What advice do you have for future Alumni Ambassadors and alumni considering joining?
Take advantage of other study abroad alumni as well as CEA international and domestic staff! You never know who can give you great advice or help you network in the field you're interested in. Plus, they understand what you're experiencing as you return to your life in the States.
For alumni considering the Ambassador program, I would say to just do it! Becoming an ambassador opened so many doors for me that I might not have found otherwise, including finding this position with CEA in Phoenix.
Read more about our CEA Content Creators.