Traditional Cottage Pie
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, crushed
2 medium carrots, chopped
1 (400g) tin chopped tomatoes
2 tablespoons tomato purée
300ml beef stock
1 teaspoon dried mixed herbs
Dash Worcestershire sauce
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
*Variations in the U.S. include using beef in place of mince meat.
For the topping:
1kg, peeled and diced potatoes
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
4 tablespoons milk
1. Preheat the oven to 190 C / Gas mark 5.
2. Heat the oil in a large frying pan over medium high heat. Add the onion garlic and carrot and cook over a medium heat until soft. Add the mince and cook to brown. Use beef stock to keep the mince moist.
3. Add the tinned tomatoes, puree, stock, mixed herbs and Worcestershire sauce. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes, adding a dash of red wine for additional flavor.
4. Boil the potatoes in water until soft. Drain and mash with the mustard, butter and milk. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
5. Spoon the mince mixture into a casserole dish. Top with the mash and bake for 30 minutes until golden brown.
Read more about our CEA MOJO Bloggers & Photographers.